Cabinet of Curiosity



Cabinet of Curiosity
Black foam board, pins, air dry clay, ink
16x14x8
















I drew influence for this project partly from the book we read for this semester, but I also wanted to showcase what something might have looked like if it was displayed like what I read about or if I actually had one of these artifacts. I wanted the cabinet itself to look like it was meant to hold these objects. I also wanted it to look a bit odd with the pins still showing as well as the motifs not precisely matching. This holds value as I pulled a lot from the reading about what value people assign particular objects and what things we as humans may want to collect or discard. 
The two objects were pulled from a few words in my reading. The first one is an old oven imagined to be used during the time when people did know how to grow corn. Instead, in this universe, they put some substance into this oven and had corn after a set amount of time. The second object is a replica of some sort of energy conducted relic someone during mythology times would've kept. There are a lot of people out there that believe in mythology and would definitely keep something like this. These both represent something that is old and being kept for value. 

In Process






 

Comments