Memento Section 2



1. The souvenir speaks to a context of origin through a language of longing. 

This is a picture of my dad and I from probably around my 5th birthday. This sense of family and memory of this period in my life remains a remembrance frozen in time. This feeling is something I will forever long for and try to not only get back to, but replicate this sense of comfortability in every aspect of my life. 


2. The souvenir exists as a sample of the now-distant experience that only the object can evoke.

This is a picture from my 16th birthday. My best friends decided to get my parents in on it and surprise me with a party with my friends and family. This is the only picture I know exists, with my parents voluntarily happy and smiling together. They are divorced now, and this is nothing I will ever experience again, but this picture can only evoke this specific emotion and memory. 



3. The souvenir reduces the public, the monument, and the three-dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body. 

This picture is of me in high school
taken at a specific distance to evoke such emotion. This photo means a lot to me because I was extremely depressed during this time in my life, and this made me feel a little free. This feeling makes me feel small and creates such a feeling that can be soaked into my body, creating an atmosphere inside of myself where I think a little more comfortably. 


4. Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss. 

This is the first picture my mom and I took together after a few years of hating each other and not being able to connect to be civil. There was a considerable period in my life where I lost all connection with my family, and while most of that is still active, this picture allows me to feel nostalgic about these things and not just resentful. 



5. The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated. 

This was a picture of my sister and me when we were little, making some dessert with my mom. This is a tremendous sense of nostalgia in my life. I missed the times when I was simply able to do these kinds of things with my sister. However, we will never be able to return to this time of life. 

Comments